Best AR 15 Scope Mounts in 2023
I know you come here for searching the Best AR 15 Scope Mounts. So, if you are not sure which scope mount is better for your AR-15, I would help you to find out the best one.
I’ve tested all most all types of Best scope mount for your AR 15 which is present in the market. I’m sure after the end of this guide you’ll get the final one for your AR.
* OpticsCountry is reader-supported. When you buy through links on my site, I may earn an affiliate commission.*
How to Choose the Best AR 15 Scope Mounts
Choosing the best scope mount for your AR-15 rifle depends on several factors, including your shooting needs, budget, and personal preferences. If you are also get the best AR-15 iron sights or you like to see the M1A scope mount. Here are some key considerations to help you make an informed decision
1. Mount Type: There are different types of scope mounts available for the AR-15, such as one-piece mounts, two-piece mounts, cantilever mounts, and quick-detach mounts. Each type has its advantages and considerations. One-piece mounts often provide more rigidity and may be preferred for precision shooting, while cantilever mounts offer extended eye relief and flexibility for mounting options. Quick-detach mounts allow for easy removal and reattachment of the optic, which can be useful for certain applications.
2. Mount Height: Scope mounts come in different heights, such as low, medium, and high. The right height depends on factors like the size of your scope’s objective lens and your preferred shooting position. A lower mount height can provide a more comfortable cheek weld and better alignment with the bore, while higher mounts can accommodate larger objective lenses or allow for a more upright shooting position.
3. Material and Construction: Scope mounts are typically made from aluminum, steel, or a combination of both. Aluminum mounts are lightweight and corrosion-resistant, while steel mounts offer increased durability and strength. Consider the weight, durability, and the level of abuse your rifle might endure when choosing the material.
4. Compatibility: Ensure that the scope mount you choose is compatible with the specific configuration of your AR-15, including the upper receiver, rail system, and any other accessories you plan to use. The mount should fit securely and align properly with your rifle’s components.
5. Budget: Set a budget range for your scope mount and consider the value you’re getting for the price. While more expensive mounts may offer advanced features or higher-quality construction, there are often affordable options available that still provide reliable performance.
6. Reviews and Recommendations: Research and read customer reviews, expert opinions, and recommendations from trusted sources. Pay attention to feedback on durability, ease of installation, return-to-zero capabilities, and overall performance.
7. Brand Reputation: Consider the reputation of the manufacturer or brand offering the scope mount. Well-established brands with a history of producing high-quality firearm accessories are often a good choice, as they have a track record of customer satisfaction.
Ultimately, the best scope mount for your AR-15 will depend on your specific needs, shooting preferences, and budget.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF AR 15 MOUNTS
There are lots of mount options are available in the market, which one the best mount for your rifle/scope could be depend on your personal preference, rifle setup.
Now we are going to start to discuss the two standard designs: One-piece mounts vs two-piece scope rings.
– A one-piece mount is a scope mount that consists of a single unit that attaches to the firearm’s receiver or rail system.
– Advantages of one-piece mounts include increased rigidity and stability due to the solid construction. This can contribute to improved accuracy and consistency.
– One-piece mounts often offer more options for precise scope positioning and eye relief adjustments.
– They are typically easier to install and require less alignment compared to two-piece scope rings.
– One-piece mounts are commonly used for tactical applications, precision shooting, and when a high level of stability is desired.
Two-Piece Scope Rings:
– Two-piece scope rings consist of separate rings that are mounted individually on the firearm’s receiver or rail system.
– Advantages of two-piece scope rings include more flexibility in terms of scope placement and mounting options.
– They allow for easier access to the firearm’s ejection port and may be more convenient for maintenance or cleaning.
– Two-piece rings often offer a lower profile and lighter weight compared to one-piece mounts.
– They are commonly used for hunting, where quick removal or interchangeability of optics may be desired.
Choosing between a one-piece mount and two-piece rings depends on your specific needs and shooting preferences. Consider factors such as the intended use of the firearm, desired stability, ease of installation, access to the ejection port, and scope adjustment requirements.
How Choosing High-Quality Mounts for ar15
When choosing high-quality mounts for your AR-15, consider the following factors:
1. Material and Construction: Look for mounts made from high-quality materials such as aircraft-grade aluminum or steel. These materials offer durability, strength, and resistance to recoil forces. Ensure that the mounts are precision-machined for a secure fit and optimal performance.
2. Mounting System: Opt for mounts with a reliable and secure mounting system. Look for features like cross-bolts, screws, or quick-detach mechanisms that provide a strong and stable connection between the mount and the firearm. The mounting system should ensure proper alignment and maintain zero under recoil.
3. Compatibility: Ensure that the mount is designed specifically for the AR-15 platform and compatible with your rifle’s rail system (Picatinny or M-LOK). Check the product specifications to confirm compatibility with your specific AR-15 model and accessories.
4. Height and Eye Relief: Consider your shooting preferences and optic choice when selecting the mount height. Choose a mount that offers proper eye relief and aligns the optic with your natural shooting position. Low-profile mounts are generally preferred for a more compact and streamlined setup.
5. Reviews and Recommendations: Research customer reviews and seek recommendations from experienced shooters, professionals, or trustworthy sources. Pay attention to feedback on durability, ease of installation, return-to-zero capabilities, and overall performance.
6. Brand Reputation: Consider mounts from reputable manufacturers with a track record of producing high-quality firearm accessories. Well-established brands often have a reputation for reliable products and good customer support.
7. Budget: Determine your budget range and aim for the best quality mount within that range. While high-quality mounts may come at a higher price, they often offer better construction, precision, and durability.
By considering these factors and conducting thorough research, you can identify high-quality mounts that meet your specific needs, provide reliable performance, and ensure proper alignment and stability for your optic on your AR-15 rifle.
How To Mount A Scope On Your AR 15
Mounting a scope on your AR-15 requires a few steps to ensure proper installation and alignment. Here’s a general guide on how to mount a scope on an AR-15:
1. Gather the necessary tools and equipment: You will need a scope, scope rings or mount, a torque wrench, an AR-15 armorers wrench (if applicable), and a set of Allen wrenches.
2. Prepare the rifle: Ensure your AR-15 is unloaded and the chamber is clear. Place the rifle on a stable surface or use a gun vise to hold it securely during the installation process.
3. Select the scope rings or mount: Depending on your preference and the type of scope you have, choose either scope rings or a one-piece mount that is compatible with your AR-15’s rail system (Picatinny or M-LOK).
4. Position the scope rings or mount: If using scope rings, place the bottom halves on the rail and align them with the desired position for your scope. Ensure the rings are evenly spaced and properly aligned. If using a one-piece mount, position it on the rail system with the mounting screws loosened.
5. Place the scope in the rings or on the mount: Carefully place the scope into the rings or onto the mount, ensuring that the eyepiece is facing the rear of the rifle. Align the scope in a position that provides comfortable eye relief for your shooting style.
6. Tighten the rings or mount: Using the appropriate torque wrench or Allen wrenches, tighten the screws on the rings or mount. Start with a snug fit and then progressively tighten each screw in a crisscross pattern to evenly distribute the pressure. Follow the manufacturer’s recommended torque settings to avoid over-tightening and damaging the scope or rifle.
7. Level the scope: Use a bubble level or a scope leveling tool to ensure the scope is properly aligned with the rifle. Adjust the scope as necessary to achieve a level position.
8. Check for proper eye relief and alignment: Shoulder the rifle and check if the scope provides a clear and comfortable sight picture. Adjust the scope position if needed to achieve the desired eye relief and alignment with your shooting position.
9. Secure the screws and re-check: After confirming the desired scope position and alignment, tighten all screws securely. Double-check that the scope rings or mount remain tight and in place.
10. Test the setup: Take the rifle to the range and test the scope’s performance. Ensure that the reticle is properly centered, the scope holds zero, and you can consistently hit the desired targets.
Best AR 15 Scope Mounts
If you’re pressed on time, here’s a quick list of the best scope mounts for AR-15:
1. American Defense AD-RECON: Best Scope Mount for AR-15
The American Defense AD-RECON 30 STD Riflescope Optic is a popular choice among shooters and is known for its quality construction and performance. Here’s an overview of the features and a review of the AD-RECON 30 STD:
1. Construction: The AD-RECON 30 STD is built with a rugged and durable design, utilizing high-quality materials. It is crafted from aircraft-grade aluminum, ensuring it can withstand the rigors of heavy recoil and harsh conditions.
2. Mounting System: This scope mount features a cantilever design with a 30mm ring diameter, providing a forward offset that allows for better eye relief and positioning on AR-15 platforms. The integral mounting system securely attaches to a Picatinny rail.
3. Quick-Detach (QD) Lever: One of the standout features of the AD-RECON 30 STD is the QD lever mechanism. This allows for quick and tool-less attachment and detachment of the scope mount from the rail, providing convenience and flexibility.
4. Height and Eye Relief: The AD-RECON 30 STD offers a standard height that places the scope at the optimal height for most shooters. It also provides generous eye relief, ensuring a comfortable and consistent sight picture.
5. Compatibility: The mount is designed to fit a variety of scopes and optics with a 30mm tube diameter. It is suitable for a range of applications, including hunting, competition shooting, and tactical use.
6. Return to Zero: One of the notable advantages of the AD-RECON 30 STD is its ability to hold zero. The mount is designed to retain zero even after removing and reattaching it to the rail, allowing for consistent and reliable performance.
7. Customer Reviews: The AD-RECON 30 STD Riflescope Optic has received positive reviews from users. Customers have praised its solid construction, ease of installation, and secure fit on the rifle. The QD lever system is often highlighted as a convenient feature that allows for quick scope changes.
Overall, the American Defense AD-RECON 30 STD Riflescope Optic is a well-regarded scope mount known for its robust construction, user-friendly features, and reliable performance. It offers shooters a solid mounting solution for their optics and is highly regarded for its ability to hold zero. However, it’s always advisable to consider individual shooting needs, rifle setup, and personal preferences when selecting a scope mount.
2. Aero Precision Ultralight 30mm Scope Mount: BEST LIGHTWEIGHT MOUNT
The Aero Precision Ultralight 30mm Scope Mount is a lightweight and versatile mounting solution designed for rifles with a Picatinny rail. Here’s an overview of the features and a review of the Aero Precision Ultralight 30mm Scope Mount:
1. Construction: The Ultralight scope mount is made from high-quality 6061-T6 aluminum, which offers excellent strength-to-weight ratio. This construction ensures durability and resistance to recoil and harsh environments while keeping the overall weight of the mount to a minimum.
2. Design: The mount features a sleek and low-profile design, minimizing the added bulk and weight to the rifle. It is precision-machined to provide a secure fit and optimal alignment for the optic.
3. Mounting System: The Ultralight scope mount utilizes a two-piece design with a crossbolt for easy installation and removal. The integrated recoil lug helps prevent movement and ensures consistent zero retention.
4. Scope Tube Size: This scope mount is specifically designed for 30mm tube diameter optics. It provides a solid and secure attachment point for a wide range of 30mm scopes, red dot sights, and other optical devices.
5. Height and Eye Relief: The mount is available in various height options to accommodate different shooting preferences and optic configurations. It allows for proper eye relief and comfortable shooting positions.
6. Weight: As the name suggests, the Aero Precision Ultralight scope mount is known for its lightweight construction. The reduced weight helps minimize the overall weight of the rifle setup, making it ideal for those who prioritize mobility and maneuverability.
7. Customer Reviews: The Aero Precision Ultralight 30mm Scope Mount has generally received positive reviews from users. Customers appreciate its sturdy construction, easy installation, and secure fit. The lightweight design and reliable performance are often highlighted as significant advantages.
Overall, the Aero Precision Ultralight 30mm Scope Mount is a well-regarded option for shooters looking for a lightweight and durable scope mount. Its precision construction, versatile design, and secure attachment make it suitable for various shooting applications. However, it’s important to ensure compatibility with your specific rifle and optic before making a purchase.
3. Vortex Optics Pro Series Riflescope Rings: BEST FOR THE BUDGET
The Vortex Optics Pro Series Riflescope Rings are high-quality rings designed to securely mount riflescopes on various firearms. Here’s an overview of the features and a review of the Vortex Optics Pro Series Rings:
1. Construction: The Pro Series rings are precision-machined from aircraft-grade aluminum, ensuring durability, strength, and resistance to recoil. The rings are built to withstand the rigors of heavy-duty use and maintain zero even in demanding conditions.
2. Design: The rings feature a sleek and low-profile design, minimizing the overall height and weight added to the rifle. This allows for a more streamlined and compact setup while maintaining a secure and reliable mounting solution.
3. Mounting System: The Pro Series rings use a two-piece design with a clamp system for easy installation and removal. The clamp offers a secure grip on the Picatinny or Weaver rail, ensuring a solid and stable attachment for the riflescope.
4. Scope Tube Size: These rings are available in various sizes to accommodate different scope tube diameters, including 1 inch, 30mm, and 34mm. This versatility allows for compatibility with a wide range of riflescopes.
5. Height Options: The Pro Series rings are available in different height options to suit different optic and firearm combinations. This ensures proper alignment, optimal eye relief, and comfortable shooting positions.
6. Torque Control: The rings feature a Torque-Set screw system, allowing for easy and precise torque control during installation. This helps prevent over-tightening and ensures consistent and reliable performance.
7. Customer Reviews: The Vortex Optics Pro Series Riflescope Rings have generally received positive reviews from users. Customers appreciate their solid construction, easy installation, and secure fit. The ability to maintain zero, even with heavy recoil, is often highlighted as a significant advantage.
Overall, the Vortex Optics Pro Series Riflescope Rings are well-regarded for their quality construction, reliable performance, and ease of use. They provide a secure and stable mounting solution for riflescopes, ensuring accurate and consistent aiming. However, it’s essential to ensure proper ring size and height selection based on your specific optic and firearm combination.
4. Burris Optics P.E.P.R. Riflescope Mount: Burris AR 15 scope mounts
The Burris Optics P.E.P.R. (Proper Eye Position Ready) Riflescope Mount is a popular mounting solution known for its versatility and solid construction. Here’s an overview of the features and a review of the Burris P.E.P.R. Mount:
1. Construction: The P.E.P.R. Mount is built to withstand rugged use and recoil. It is made from high-quality aluminum that provides durability and strength while keeping the weight relatively low.
2. Design: The mount features a cantilever design, providing a forward offset that allows for better eye relief and positioning on various firearms, including AR-15 platforms. It also incorporates a built-in Picatinny rail on top for additional accessory mounting options.
3. Quick-Detach (QD) Lever: One of the standout features of the P.E.P.R. Mount is its quick-detach lever mechanism. This allows for rapid and tool-less attachment and detachment of the mount from the rail, providing convenience and flexibility for scope changes or transportation.
4. Scope Tube Size: The P.E.P.R. Mount is available in different models to accommodate different scope tube diameters, such as 1 inch, 30mm, and 34mm. This versatility ensures compatibility with a wide range of riflescopes.
5. Height Options: The mount is available in various height options, allowing for proper alignment and optimal eye relief based on the specific scope and shooter’s preferences.
6. Return to Zero: The P.E.P.R. Mount is designed to hold zero even after being removed and reattached to the rifle. This is beneficial for shooters who need to switch optics or temporarily remove the scope without compromising accuracy.
7. Customer Reviews: The Burris Optics P.E.P.R. Riflescope Mount has generally received positive reviews from users. Customers appreciate its solid build quality, ease of installation, and secure fit. The quick-detach lever system is often praised for its convenience and reliability.
Overall, the Burris Optics P.E.P.R. Riflescope Mount is a highly regarded mount that offers durability, versatility, and quick-detach functionality. Its solid construction, compatibility with different scope sizes, and ability to hold zero make it a reliable choice for various shooting applications.