Best Red Dot Sights Under $300 in 2023
In this guide, I’m going to provide the options to you for the best red dot sights under $300.
I personally hand-tested the lots of budget Red dot optics for this review, so I can suggest the best Red dot optics for you.
So, whether you’re on a budget or need the best red dot sight, you’ll find it here.
* OpticsCountry is reader-supported. When you buy through links on my site, I may earn an affiliate commission.*
Several factors contribute to making a red dot sight better and more desirable for shooters. As you read through my list of the best red dot sights under $300. Here are some key features and characteristics that can enhance the performance and usability of a red dot sight:
1. Dot Clarity: A high-quality red dot sight should provide a crisp and clear dot for precise aiming. The dot should be sharp, well-defined, and free from distortion or halo effects.
2. Reticle Size and Shape: The size and shape of the reticle can vary between different red dot sights. Some shooters prefer smaller, more precise dots, while others may find larger dots easier to acquire quickly. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the intended shooting application.
3. Brightness Adjustment: Red dot sights often come with adjustable brightness settings to accommodate different lighting conditions. Look for a red dot sight that offers a wide range of brightness levels, including both low-light and bright daylight settings. This allows for optimal visibility and ensures the dot remains visible and easy to acquire regardless of the lighting conditions.
4. Battery Life: Red dot sights are typically battery-powered, so it’s important to consider the battery life of the sight. A longer battery life means less frequent battery changes or recharges, providing more convenience and peace of mind during extended shooting sessions.
5. Durability: A red dot sight should be built to withstand the recoil of the firearm and endure harsh field conditions. Look for red dot sights that are shockproof, waterproof, and fog-proof, as they are designed to withstand the rigors of shooting and adverse weather conditions.
6. Mounting Options: Red dot sights should have versatile mounting options to accommodate different firearms and mounting systems. Look for sights that offer a variety of mounting solutions, such as Picatinny or Weaver rails, to ensure compatibility with your specific firearm.
7. Quick Target Acquisition: One of the primary advantages of a red dot sight is its ability to facilitate rapid target acquisition. The sight should allow shooters to quickly and instinctively align the dot with the target, minimizing the time needed to acquire a sight picture and improving overall shooting speed.
8. Parallax-Free Performance: A high-quality red dot sight should provide parallax-free performance. This means that the dot remains in the same position relative to the target, regardless of the shooter’s eye position. Parallax-free sights allow for accurate and consistent aiming without the need for precise eye placement behind the sight.
9. Ease of Use: Look for red dot sights that are user-friendly and intuitive to operate. Features such as easy-to-access controls, clear adjustments, and quick zeroing capabilities contribute to a better overall shooting experience.
10. Warranty and Customer Support: Consider the warranty and customer support provided by the manufacturer. A reputable brand with a solid warranty policy ensures that you can rely on their product and receive assistance if any issues arise.
Ultimately, the “better” red dot sight will depend on your specific shooting needs, preferences, and budget. It’s important to consider these factors and choose a red dot sight that aligns with your shooting style and requirements.
What’s the Difference Between a Red Dot and Reflex Sight?
The terms “red dot sight” and “reflex sight” are often used interchangeably, but there are some technical differences between the two. Here’s a breakdown of the key distinctions:
1. Reticle Type: The main difference lies in the reticle design. A red dot sight typically features a single illuminated dot as the aiming point, while a reflex sight may have a variety of reticle shapes, such as a dot, circle, or combination of both. Reflex sights often offer more reticle options to cater to different shooting preferences.
2. Reflexive Optics: Reflex sights derive their name from the fact that they use a reflective lens to project the reticle onto the sight window. The reticle is superimposed onto the field of view, allowing for rapid target acquisition with both eyes open. Red dot sights, on the other hand, use LED technology to generate the illuminated dot directly on the sight window.
3. Sight Window Shape: Red dot sights commonly have a round sight window, while reflex sights can have various shapes, including round, square, or rectangular. The choice of sight window shape is a matter of personal preference and does not significantly impact performance.
4. Objective Lens Size: Reflex sights often have a larger objective lens compared to red dot sights. This allows for a wider field of view and improved situational awareness. Red dot sights typically have smaller objective lenses, which can be advantageous for shooters who prioritize compactness and weight reduction.
5. Battery Life: Due to their different reticle projection methods, reflex sights tend to have slightly shorter battery life compared to red dot sights. However, the difference in battery life can vary among different models and manufacturers, so it’s important to consider the specific product specifications.
6. Price: In general, red dot sights tend to be more popular and widely available, resulting in a broader range of options and price points. Reflex sights, particularly those with more advanced features or reticle options, may be relatively more expensive.
It’s worth noting that while these differences exist, the overall functionality and purpose of both red dot sights and reflex sights are similar. Both are designed to provide rapid target acquisition, improved accuracy, and ease of use for quick and instinctive shooting. The choice between a red dot sight and a reflex sight ultimately comes down to personal preference, shooting requirements, and budget. It’s recommended to try out different models and compare their features before making a decision.
Best Red Dot Sights Under $300
If you’re pressed on time, here’s a quick list of the best red dots under $300:
1. BURRIS FASTFIRE III
The Burris FastFire III is a popular compact reflex sight designed for rapid target acquisition and close-quarters shooting. Here are some key features and characteristics of the Burris FastFire III:
1. Reticle: The FastFire III features a single red dot reticle that is available in either 3 MOA or 8 MOA size options. The reticle is illuminated and provides a clear aiming point for quick and precise target acquisition.
2. Compact Design: The FastFire III is compact and lightweight, making it suitable for various firearms, including handguns, shotguns, and rifles. Its small footprint allows for easy installation and doesn’t add much bulk or weight to the firearm.
3. Unlimited Eye Relief: The sight offers unlimited eye relief, which means you can place your eye at any distance from the sight and still see the reticle clearly. This feature is especially beneficial for quick target acquisition and allows for flexible shooting positions.
4. Brightness Settings: The FastFire III has multiple brightness settings to adapt to different lighting conditions. It offers manual brightness adjustments with an automatic setting that adjusts the brightness based on ambient light conditions.
5. Battery Life: The sight is powered by a CR1632 battery and has a decent battery life. The battery compartment is conveniently located on top of the sight for easy access and replacement.
6. Durability: The FastFire III is built to withstand recoil and harsh environments. It is shockproof, waterproof, and fog-proof, ensuring reliable performance in various weather conditions and shooting scenarios.
7. Mounting Options: The sight can be mounted using a variety of mounting systems, including Burris’ own mounting solutions or adapters for different firearm platforms. It offers flexibility in mounting choices, allowing for compatibility with a wide range of firearms.
8. Ease of Use: The FastFire III is designed for simplicity and ease of use. It has a power button located on the left side for easy activation, and windage and elevation adjustments can be made using a small tool or a coin.
9. Optional Picatinny Mount: The FastFire III is available with an optional Picatinny mount, which allows for easy attachment to firearms with Picatinny or Weaver-style rails.
10. Warranty: Burris offers a limited lifetime warranty for the FastFire III, providing assurance of quality and customer support.
Overall, the Burris FastFire III is a reliable and compact reflex sight suitable for quick target acquisition and close-quarters shooting. Its compact design, multiple brightness settings, durable construction, and versatility make it a popular choice among shooters looking for a reflex sight for their firearms.
About this item
· Convenient power button with three levels of brightness and an automatice brightness setting
· Tool-less wind age and elevation adjustments
· Low Battery warning indicator
· 8 MOA Dot Reticle
· Tool-less wind age and elevation adjustments
· Top of sight battery access
· Convenient power button with three levels of brightness and an automatic brightness setting
· Low Battery warning indicator
2. SIG SAUER ROMEO 5
The SIG SAUER ROMEO 5 is a popular red dot sight known for its reliability, durability, and affordability. Here’s a review of the SIG SAUER ROMEO 5:
1. Optics and Reticle: The ROMEO 5 features a 2 MOA red dot reticle, which provides a precise aiming point for quick target acquisition. The optics deliver a clear and crisp sight picture, allowing for easy target identification.
2. Motion Activated Illumination: One of the standout features of the ROMEO 5 is its motion-activated illumination. The sight automatically turns on when motion is detected and shuts off after a period of inactivity. This feature helps conserve battery life and ensures the sight is always ready when you need it.
3. Battery Life: The ROMEO 5 utilizes a single CR2032 battery and offers an impressive battery life of up to 40,000+ hours at the lowest brightness setting. This extended battery life ensures that the sight will last for a long time without requiring frequent battery changes.
4. Brightness Adjustment: The sight provides ten brightness settings, including two night vision compatible settings. This allows for optimal visibility in various lighting conditions, from bright daylight to low-light or nighttime shooting.
5. Durability: The ROMEO 5 is built to withstand the rigors of shooting and harsh environments. It is IPX-7 rated for water resistance, meaning it can be submerged in up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes without damage. The sight is also shockproof, ensuring it can handle the recoil of different firearms.
6. Mounting Options: The ROMEO 5 comes with a Picatinny mount, making it compatible with a wide range of firearms that feature Picatinny or Weaver-style rails. The mount is easy to install and provides a secure attachment.
7. Motion-Activated Reticle: In addition to the motion-activated illumination, the ROMEO 5 also features a motion-activated reticle. The reticle will automatically turn on and off based on motion detection, helping to preserve battery life even further.
8. Compact and Lightweight: The ROMEO 5 has a compact and lightweight design, making it suitable for a variety of firearms, including AR-15 rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Its small size and low profile do not obstruct the shooter’s view or add significant weight to the firearm.
9. Warranty: SIG SAUER offers a limited lifetime warranty for the ROMEO 5, providing peace of mind and customer support.
Overall, the SIG SAUER ROMEO 5 is a highly regarded red dot sight that offers excellent performance, durability, and value for the price. Its motion-activated illumination, extended battery life, clear optics, and robust construction make it a popular choice among shooters for a wide range of applications, from competitive shooting to tactical use and hunting.
About this item
· 2 MOA Red-Dot provides 10 illumination settings (8 daylight plus 2 NV) for visibility in all light conditions
· MOTAC (Motion Activated Illumination) powers up when it senses motion and powers down when it does not.
· Provides for optimum operational safety and enhanced 50,000+ hour battery life
· Integrated M1913 Picatinny interface provides industry-standard mounting options for a wide range of applications
· Objective Clear Aperture: 20 mm Eye Relief: Unlimite. Illumination Settings: 8 Daytime / 2 . NV Elevation Adjustment Range: +/- 40 MO. Windage Adjustment Range: +/- 40. MOA Reticle: 2 MOA Red Dt. Adjustment increments: 0.5 MOA Battery: (1) CR203. Includes a co-witness 1.41″” riser mount
3. Vortex Optics Venom Red Dot Sights
The Vortex Optics Venom is a compact and versatile red dot sight known for its durability and performance. Here’s an overview of the Vortex Optics Venom Red Dot Sight:
1. Optics and Reticle: The Venom features a 3 MOA or 6 MOA red dot reticle, providing a clear and precise aiming point. The optics deliver a bright and sharp sight picture, allowing for quick target acquisition and enhanced accuracy.
2. Construction and Durability: The Venom is built with a rugged and durable construction to withstand recoil and harsh conditions. It is shockproof, waterproof, and fog-proof, ensuring reliable performance in various shooting environments.
3. Multi-Coated Lens: The lenses of the Venom are fully multi-coated, which helps to increase light transmission, reduce glare, and provide excellent image clarity. This ensures a clear sight picture, even in low-light conditions.
4. Battery Life: The Venom utilizes a CR1632 battery and offers an extended battery life. The sight has an auto-shutoff feature that preserves battery life by turning off the sight after a period of inactivity. It also has a top-loading battery compartment for easy access and replacement.
5. Brightness Settings: The sight offers ten brightness settings, including two night vision compatible settings. This allows you to adjust the brightness level according to the ambient lighting conditions for optimal visibility.
6. Mounting Options: The Venom comes with a Picatinny mount, making it compatible with a wide range of firearms that feature Picatinny or Weaver-style rails. It also has a low-profile design that allows for co-witnessing with iron sights.
7. Parallax-Free: The Venom is parallax-free, meaning the reticle remains aligned with the target regardless of eye position or shooting angle. This feature ensures consistent accuracy and eliminates the need for excessive head movement.
8. Unlimited Eye Relief: The sight offers unlimited eye relief, allowing for flexible shooting positions and quick target acquisition. You can keep both eyes open, enhancing situational awareness and target tracking.
9. Easy Windage and Elevation Adjustments: The Venom features audible and tactile windage and elevation adjustments, allowing for quick and precise zeroing. The adjustments have clear markings and can be easily accessed and manipulated.
10. Warranty: Vortex Optics offers a VIP (Very Important Promise) Warranty, which is an unconditional lifetime warranty that covers any defects or damages to the sight. This warranty provides peace of mind and demonstrates the manufacturer’s commitment to customer satisfaction.
Overall, the Vortex Optics Venom Red Dot Sight is a reliable and high-performance option for shooters who desire a compact and durable red dot sight. Its clear optics, robust construction, extended battery life, and user-friendly features make it suitable for a variety of applications, including target shooting, competition shooting, and tactical use.
About this item
· The Venom Red Dot Sight-3 MOA promotes rapid target acquisition while providing a precise point of aim; getting shots down range and on target fast. The Venom’s aluminum housing ensures this unit will stand up to whatever you throw at it.
· High quality, fully multi-coated lenses offer a clean, wide field of view. Power and dot intensity controls are conveniently located on the left side of the sight to choose between 10 brightness levels.
· The Venom also has an auto-brightness mode that uses an ambient light sensor to control dot intensity if the shooter prefers. Parallax Free
· 1 MOA wind age and elevation adjustments are super sleek and make sighting in a breeze. The top load system makes changing the CR1632 battery a breeze, as you will not have to remove your sight to change the power source.
· The Venom Red Dot will fit well on your rifle or shotgun giving you optimal flexibility.O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating for reliable performance in all environments
4. Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight Riflescope
The Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 is a popular red dot sight riflescope known for its affordability and durability. Here’s a review of the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25:
1. Optics and Reticle: The TRS-25 features a 1x25mm multi-coated objective lens that provides a clear and bright sight picture. It offers a 3 MOA red dot reticle, which allows for quick target acquisition and precise aiming.
2. Construction and Durability: The TRS-25 is built with a rugged and shockproof construction, making it capable of withstanding recoil and rough handling. It is also waterproof and fog-proof, ensuring reliable performance in various weather conditions.
3. Amber-Bright Lens Coating: The optics of the TRS-25 feature Bushnell’s patented Amber-Bright lens coating, which enhances clarity and contrast by filtering out unwanted glare. This coating improves target acquisition and visibility, especially in low-light situations.
4. Brightness Settings: The sight offers 11 brightness settings, allowing you to adjust the reticle’s intensity according to the lighting conditions. The settings range from dim to bright, including an auto-brightness feature that adjusts the brightness automatically based on ambient light.
5. Mounting Options: The TRS-25 comes with a built-in Weaver-style mount, making it easy to attach to a variety of firearms with Picatinny or Weaver-style rails. The mount is secure and provides a stable platform for the sight.
6. Unlimited Eye Relief: The sight offers unlimited eye relief, which means you can maintain proper eye distance from the sight while still seeing the reticle clearly. This feature is beneficial for quick target acquisition and allows for flexible shooting positions.
7. Battery Life: The TRS-25 utilizes a single CR2032 battery and offers an extended battery life. With normal use, the battery can last for thousands of hours, ensuring the sight remains operational for extended periods without needing frequent battery changes.
8. Compact and Lightweight: The TRS-25 has a compact and lightweight design, which adds minimal weight and bulk to your firearm. Its small size also allows for easy co-witnessing with iron sights.
9. Easy Windage and Elevation Adjustments: The sight has adjustable windage and elevation settings, allowing you to zero the sight to your preferred shooting distance. The adjustments can be made using the included adjustment caps, which are easily accessible and provide audible clicks.
10. Warranty: The TRS-25 comes with a limited lifetime warranty from Bushnell, providing assurance and support for any defects or issues with the sight.
Overall, the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight Riflescope offers reliable performance at an affordable price point. It provides a clear and bright sight picture, durable construction, a wide range of brightness settings, and easy adjustments. While it may lack some of the advanced features found in higher-end models, the TRS-25 is a solid choice for shooters on a budget or those looking for a reliable red dot sight for close to mid-range shooting applications.
About this item
· Matte black featuring a 3 MOA Dot reticle with 11 brightness settings; Mounts easily on most picatinny rails and is compatible with pistols, shotguns, rifles and muzzleloaders.Adjustment Range : 70+ MOA
· Waterproof construction: O ring sealed optics stay dry inside, even when totally immersed in water. Parallax – 50
· Shockproof construction: Built to withstand bumps, bangs, drops and the rough and tumble environment of the field
· Nitrogen purged fog proofing: Nitrogen inside the scope ensures interior optical surfaces won’t fog due to humidity or rapid temperature change