Best Thermal Scope in 2023
I’ve hand- tested over more 10 scopes alone for this review.
I’ve sorted the scopes by use. So whether you’re on a budget or need the best thermal scope for hog hunting, you’ll find it here.
Today I’m going to show you the best thermal scope
Best cheap thermal vision scope, also known as a thermal imaging scope or thermal weapon sight, is a type of optic that uses thermal imaging technology to detect and visualize heat signatures emitted by objects. It allows shooters to see in complete darkness and adverse weather conditions by detecting temperature differences.
Here are some key considerations when choosing a thermal scope:
1. Detection Range: Consider the desired detection range for your specific shooting needs. Thermal scopes vary in their detection capabilities, with some offering shorter-range detection for close-quarters shooting and others providing longer-range detection for extended distances.
2. Resolution: The resolution of the thermal sensor affects the clarity and detail of the thermal image. Higher resolution sensors provide clearer images with better target identification and detail. Common resolutions for thermal scopes range from 320×240 to 640×480 pixels.
3. Refresh Rate: The refresh rate determines how quickly the thermal image updates on the scope’s display. A higher refresh rate, typically measured in Hertz (Hz), provides smoother and more fluid images, which can be crucial for fast-moving targets or dynamic shooting situations.
4. Reticle Options: Consider the type and customization options for the reticle. Thermal scopes often offer various reticle designs and color options to suit different shooting preferences. Some models may allow for reticle customization and zeroing for specific ballistic profiles.
5. Mounting Compatibility: Ensure that the thermal scope is compatible with the mounting system on your rifle. Most thermal scopes use standard mounting systems such as Picatinny or Weaver mounts, but it’s essential to verify compatibility with your specific rifle platform.
6. Additional Features: Check for additional features that may enhance your shooting experience, such as built-in rangefinders, video recording capabilities, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity for smartphone integration, and image/video capture.
7. Battery Life: Consider the battery life of the thermal scope, as it impacts the duration of your shooting sessions. Look for scopes with long battery life or the option to use external power sources.
8. Price: Thermal scopes can vary significantly in price, depending on their features, performance, and brand. Set a budget and prioritize the features that are most important to you.
It’s crucial to note that thermal scopes may be subject to legal restrictions and regulations in some jurisdictions. Before purchasing a thermal scope, ensure that you are aware of and comply with any applicable laws and regulations.
As thermal imaging technology continues to advance, it’s recommended to read reviews, seek recommendations, and, if possible, try out different thermal scopes to find the one that best meets your specific shooting requirements.
1. Pulsar Thermion XP50
This scope offers a high-resolution thermal sensor, long detection range, and a range of advanced features such as picture-in-picture mode and built-in video recording.
The Pulsar Thermion XP50 is a highly regarded thermal scope known for its advanced features, excellent thermal imaging capabilities, and durable construction. Here’s a review of the Pulsar Thermion XP50:
1. Thermal Imaging Performance: The Thermion XP50 features a high-resolution 640×480 thermal sensor, which provides detailed thermal images with a rich color palette. The scope offers a detection range of up to 2,000 yards, allowing for effective target identification and engagement at extended distances.
2. Optics and Display: The scope utilizes a high-quality germanium lens system that delivers clear and crisp images. The AMOLED display provides a high-resolution image with vibrant colors, making it easy to distinguish targets and their heat signatures.
3. Magnification and Field of View: The Thermion XP50 offers 2.5-20x continuous digital zoom, providing versatility for both close and long-range shooting. The wide field of view ensures a broad perspective and better situational awareness.
4. Advanced Features: This scope is equipped with advanced features to enhance the shooting experience. It includes a built-in video recorder with 16GB internal storage, allowing you to capture your hunting or shooting moments. The scope also offers picture-in-picture mode, allowing for simultaneous magnification of a specific area within the main field of view.
5. Construction and Durability: The Thermion XP50 is built to withstand harsh environments. It features a rugged aluminum body with an IPX7 waterproof rating, making it resistant to rain, snow, and submersion in water. The scope is also designed to handle heavy recoil, ensuring reliability on various firearms.
6. User Interface and Controls: The scope’s user-friendly interface and intuitive controls make it easy to navigate through the menu and access different settings. It offers various reticle options and color palettes, allowing you to customize the display to your preference.
7. Battery Life: The Thermion XP50 is powered by a quick-change B-Pack Mini Li-Ion battery, providing long battery life for extended shooting sessions. The scope also has a quick start-up feature, allowing you to power it on rapidly when needed.
8. Mounting and Compatibility: The scope is designed for easy mounting on standard 30mm scope rings, ensuring compatibility with a wide range of rifle platforms.
About this item • 2,400 yd detection range with 640x480 microbolometer strength, 12-micron pixel detail • 8x digital zoom - continuous zoom and stepped zoom • BAE sensor and a rechargeable battery pack • Stadiametric rangefinder plus rock, forest, and identification viewing modes • EXPORT CONTROL NOTICE: This product is controlled for export and in-country transfers under the authority of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Diversion contrary to U.S. law prohibited
2. Trijicon Electro-Optics IR Hunter Mk III
Known for its exceptional detection range and high-quality thermal imagery, this scope offers advanced features like ballistic calculators and multiple reticle options.The Trijicon Electro-Optics IR Hunter Mk III is a highly regarded thermal scope known for its exceptional performance and advanced features. Here’s a review of the Trijicon IR Hunter Mk III
1. Thermal Imaging Performance: The IR Hunter Mk III utilizes a high-resolution thermal sensor that provides clear and detailed thermal images. It offers a detection range of up to several thousand yards, allowing for effective target acquisition and identification at long distances.
2. Optics and Display: The scope features a high-quality germanium lens system that ensures excellent light transmission and image clarity. The OLED display offers a high-resolution image with vibrant colors and adjustable brightness levels, ensuring optimal visibility in different lighting conditions.
3. Reticle Options: The IR Hunter Mk III offers a range of reticle options, including various Mil-Dot reticles and ballistic reticles. These reticles are designed to assist with ranging, holdovers, and windage compensation, enhancing accuracy and shot placement.
4. Advanced Features: This scope is packed with advanced features that enhance the shooting experience. It includes a built-in rangefinder that allows for quick and accurate target distance estimation. The scope also offers video output capabilities, enabling video recording or streaming to external devices.
5. Construction and Durability: The IR Hunter Mk III is built to withstand rugged environments and heavy recoil. It features a durable aluminum housing and is fully waterproof, ensuring reliable performance even in challenging conditions.
6. User Interface and Controls: The scope features a user-friendly interface with intuitive controls, making it easy to navigate through the menu and adjust settings. It offers customizable reticle brightness and polarity settings, allowing you to optimize the display for your preferences and shooting conditions.
7. Mounting and Compatibility: The IR Hunter Mk III is compatible with standard Picatinny or Weaver mounts, ensuring easy and secure attachment to various rifle platforms.
8. Battery Life: The scope is powered by a CR123A battery, which provides a decent battery life for extended use. It also has a standby mode to conserve battery power when not in use.
The Trijicon IR Hunter Mk III is highly regarded for its thermal imaging performance, durability, and advanced features.
3. ATN Thor 4 384x288, 1.25-5x Thermal Scope
The Thor 4 series from ATN offers a range of thermal scopes with different magnification options and features. They include built-in rangefinders, video recording, and streaming capabilities.
The ATN Thor 4 is a popular thermal scope series known for its advanced features, versatility, and competitive pricing. Here’s an overview and review of the ATN Thor 4:
1. Thermal Imaging Performance: The ATN Thor 4 series utilizes high-resolution thermal sensors and advanced image processing technology to provide clear and detailed thermal images. The scopes offer a detection range of up to several thousand yards, allowing for effective target identification and engagement at long distances.
2. Optics and Display: The Thor 4 scopes feature high-quality lenses that deliver sharp and clear thermal images. The HD micro-display provides a high-resolution image with vibrant colors and adjustable brightness levels. It offers a wide field of view, enhancing situational awareness.
3. Smart HD Features: One of the standout features of the ATN Thor 4 series is its Smart HD technology. It includes features such as built-in ballistic calculators, video recording, Wi-Fi streaming, Bluetooth connectivity, and the ability to interface with a smartphone app for remote control and live streaming.
4. Ballistic Calculator and Rangefinder: The built-in ballistic calculator takes into account environmental factors and provides precise aiming points, accounting for bullet drop and windage. The rangefinder function allows for quick and accurate target distance estimation, further aiding in accurate shot placement.
5. Reticle Options and Customization: The Thor 4 scopes offer various reticle patterns and colors to suit different shooting preferences. They also provide the ability to customize the reticle appearance, including the option to change color and style.
6. Construction and Durability: The scopes are built with a durable and rugged housing that is water-resistant and capable of withstanding recoil. They are designed to handle harsh conditions and provide reliable performance.
7. Battery Life and Power Options: The Thor 4 scopes come with an internal rechargeable battery, providing a decent battery life for extended use. Additionally, they can be powered externally using a power pack, ensuring continuous operation for longer shooting sessions.
8. Mounting and Compatibility: The scopes are designed to be mounted on standard Picatinny or Weaver rails, making them compatible with a wide range of firearms.
The ATN Thor 4 series is highly regarded for its advanced features, smart technology, and competitive pricing.
ATN Thor 4 384x288, 1.25-5x Thermal Scope w/Video rec in HD, Smooth Zoom, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (Streaming, Gallery & Controls)
About this item • Obsidian IV Dual Core Processor and Gen 4 Thermal Sensor - an ideal combination to satisfy your hunting needs. Choose between black-and-white or bright color palettes in HD resolution • Smart Rangefinder - range your target in just 2 clicks and get the precise distance measurement in the blink of an eye. No extra gadgets required • Ballistic Calculator feature makes every shot a kill. Point of impact is adjusted automatically with consideration of ammo type, range to target and environmental data • Ultra Low Power Consumption - over 16 hours of active use. No more lost opportunities due to drained batteries • Dual Stream Video Recording - Wifi Streaming and Video Recording now can be turned on simultaneously with no negative effect on performance